Thursday, December 25, 2014

Bigfoot Expedition Concession Stand Camp Green Swamp


Florida trail sign in the Green Swamp
Sign post for the Florida Trail
I had an opportunity to travel to the Green Swamp wilderness west track to do an overnight back country backpacking trip with our FaceBook group. This outing was organized by Nick who is new to Bigfoot and doing a great job. I got there around one and headed down main grade road to find the cut for the Florida Trail which would headed north to the camp. I passed a bunch of campers at the equestrIan camp who must of thought I looked funny dragging a suitcase like I was looking for the Hilton. I was hoping to have all of us hike to the campsite as a group but it was not to be. Kevin and Teri were doing something that day and would arrive later, and Nick was feeding the homeless. I did not even know that Rob was going to make it but it would be well after dark before he could arrive. No problem. Rob is retired Army and teaches ROTC. He thrives in the woods at night
Florida Trail
Long leaf pine forest on the Florida Trail
I was not to believe the beauty I was witnessing. The topography, however, changed from cypress swamp to this sand pine forest. I was dragging a bag and the sand was slowing me down. This December day was cool, dry, and had a clear blue sky. It was the perfect day to be doing this. The temps tonight would get into the forties out here...brrr! I was prepared with layers of sweat shirts. Hopefully, we will have a raging fire and that will keep us warm.



Unnamed (1)
My gear
After a couple hours, there was a problem. I was entering a hilly area (there are hills in Florida) and still no damn sight of the camp sign. I did not think I was lost because the orange blazes were still on the trees. I found it hard to believe I had not walked far enough. The sun was setting and I was getting ready to spend the night out here. I had yet to run into anyone from the group. This just underscores that people should not take theses things lightly. If you are a group, then be one. If for no other reason then safety. I could have gotten into trouble and nobody would have known it.
Unnamed (3)
The firewood should keep me warm tonight
What I did not know was I was only 100 feet from the trail sign. I just did not have it in me to keep going without being sure I was headed in the right direction. I pulled out my new T-MOBILE phone to see if it got reception out here and it did. I got a hold of Kevin. The entire gang was at the trail head and the sun was setting. Great. This was not really how I was thinking it was going to be. I wanted to have time to relax at camp during the daylight.
Unnamed (4)
Its getting dark fast and no sight of team
I finally heard Nick's call and he found me. This is when I learned that camp was just on the other side of the bushes and Teri and Kevin were already there. Wow! I had done it but did not know it. I was glad to see another human being.
10846383_1576754792538537_8414649478643079986_n
Nick getting the fire started
Kevin had already found some firewood and Nick used his fire starter to get it going. It was getting dark and we had a lot to do. We stacked wood like crazy. It was going to be cold tonight folks and we were going to need it. Plus, I just like a good campfire.
10409553_1576755315871818_591206110309935699_n
Terri getting cold already
I was glad Kevin and Teri made it. I just really wish they could have stayed the night. It was going to be crystal clear and I know they are UFO investigators. In fact, the go to conventions all over the country.
There was also a meteor shower tonight with no moon and cold skies. The absolute perfect combination. I don't know what anyone could want. I did not know about the meteor shower. It happens every year on this date as the earth moves through the remnants of a comet of long ago. Next year I will be better prepared.
Unnamed (5)
Sunset over the lake
Unnamed (6)
The campfire after sunset

It was so cold we really did not do any exploring that night, which we always do. Rob found the camp but that was only after Nick went got him after he missed the FT sign in the dark.

We got a special treat that night. Not only did we hear two very loud coyote kills in the darkness but the Geminid meteor shower was tonight. There would be about 120 shooting stars and hour lasting all night. I have an ap on phone that is for star gazing and it will at least line you up with the constilations and planets. I was facing due east and that was were all the action was coming from...the consitlation Gemini.
Geminids_2014_1920x1080_edited-1
You can get this off an Android App
B42CfGPIUAAtH28
Our camp at first light

It was cold that night folks. It had to have been in the low 40's which for us is freezing. I climed out of the tent and Nick had already started a fire to warm things up. We cooked breakfast and "highbrow coffee." It was wonderful. Nick had bacon and sausage and was willing to share. I did have some instand coffee.
Green Swamp camp coffee
Ya' got to love hot coffee on a cold morning in the Green Swamp
We did find the trail sign that was my nemeses yesterday. It was cold when we climbed out of our sleeping bags but as the sun came up we ended up in short sleeves.
Unnamed (1) (2)
Nick Tuder and Rob Robinson
Unnamed (2) (1)
The gang at the camp signpost
Tim Fasano
I was so glad to find this sign
We went down to the lake next to the camp and it was perfect for photography. The leaves had fallen off the Cypress trees and the visibility was excellent. When you live in Florida year round, you really look forward to this time of year when you can get out and go to these places.
The Green Swamp
A beautiful day in the swamp
Green Swamp campfire
The morning campfire
BELOW ARE SOME VIDEOS OF THE NIGHT EXPEDITION. I BELEIVE SOMETHING WAS RESPOSDING TO TERI'S YELL AND SOMETHING DID COME INTO CAMP:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Teri Lynge on Coast to Coast Radio

The George Noory Rado Show Teri Lynge was on the Coast to Coast Radio show the other night. Teri is an expert on alien contact and he...